Sunday, May 23, 2010

Friendship

Girl world is often times tough to traverse. We have complex emotions, hormone levels that are constantly up and down, and we all expect way too much from each other. Friendships tend to ebb and flow it seems. There are the good times, the bad times, the epic nights, and the epic fights. It seems that all of these things go together to create what we know as a friendship.
Lately I have found that being a friend is much more fun for me than I could have imagined. I had a pretty epic birthday party and I was surrounded by so many amazing friends. Sure there were a few people sprinkled about that were just there to say they were there, but all in all it was a great learning experience. It encouraged me to loosen up and let people in a little bit.
I have had a lot of issues with giving too much of myself and ending up feeling burned by it. I made a commitment to myself about 4 years ago that I was going to stop giving so much and simply live my life for me. It was a 4 year long process of purging myself of toxicity. Bad girlfriends, bad habits, bad choices...all of these things that I felt were dragging my social stock down. I decided that to have good friends, and for people to like me, it was probably best if I liked myself.
Now that I am who I am today, I have been constantly working to make myself better. Can you believe that I actually have had people in my life who think that it is a character flaw that I think im a great person? Obviously these people are not a major part of my life these days. One of the things that I hadn't quite been able to work on was my tendency to kick people out of my life and not talk to them. I have flaws just like everyone, and it's really easy for me (unfortunately) to tell someone if you don't like me you can piss the fuck off...and in most cases people will do exactly that. I have recently had the opportunity to patch things up with a few people. I always look on these chances as a golden opportunity.
I patched things up with a friend of mine that I have had since I was a little girl, and I think that this opportunity came at a good time for the both of us. I have been in desperate need of a good girlfriend that is close by, and some things have been happening in her life recently as well...we both needed each other. I also kinda buried the hatchet so to speak with my...um...girlfriend?...exgirlfriend?...it's hard to say. I found out that she was pregnant and I sent her an olive branch email because I am sure that she is really nervous about it and could use someone that cares about her...and let's face it, I do care about her a lot.
Friendship is hard and it takes a lot of work...some sacrifices...some bartering...and A LOT of compromise. But isn't it just totally worth it?

1 comment: